Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Quick update 2 - Dirty Dozen 50K

I took a good deal of time off following Bighorn.  My legs and feet and heel (I was diagnosed with Haglund's Heel post-bighorn) recovered and I signed up with Meghan to run a local trail race in Forest Park.  The Dirty Dozen 50K.  The race is 12 loops on my favorite Orange trail in Forest Park.  It's roughly 2.25 miles per loop and even with the out and back to start the race, I don't think it is a 30 mile race.  Anyway, I wanted to run well and kept up with the lead runners the first 4 loops before I fell back after refilling my bottle with Tailwind.  I caught up but then fell back off when I refilled 2 loops later.  I didn't know exactly how far ahead they were but I wasn't feeling fantastic.  My stomach was a little uneasy and I was getting a cramp.  Still I felt ok overall and ended up finishing in 3rd place only a few minutes behind the first two spots.  I wasn't expecting a prize but the RD gave out prizes to the top 3 male and female runners.  Meghan crushed the race as her preparation for the Atacama Desert stage race had been stellar.  She took 1st place.  So running this race gave me a little more confidence that I was getting back into the swing of things but my Garmin readings for GPS were so messed up in the forest that I couldn't tell how my splits evolved.  I had about 6 weeks before Ghost Train Trail 100 and just had to keep doing what I had been doing and hope for the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment